*Cleanzine_logo_2a.jpgCleanzine: your weekly cleaning and hygiene industry newsletter 14th March 2019 Issue no. 861

Your industry news - first    Number 1 for Recruitment

We strongly recommend viewing Cleanzine full size in your web browser. Click our masthead above to visit our website version.

Search
English French Spanish Italian German Dutch Russian Mandarin


Ecolab fleet honoured for carbon reduction efforts

 

Ecolab has received a NAFA Fleet Management Association 2012 Sustainable Fleet Award for its efforts to remake its 7,000 vehicle US fleet. Since 2006, the fleet has reduced greenhouse gas emissions by 22%, normalised to sales, and fuel consumption 8%, despite an increase in the number of vehicles and total miles driven.

The drive to reduce GHG emissions by the fleet aligns with Ecolab's corporate goal to reduce US GHG emissions per dollar of sales by 20% from the base year of 2006. Ecolab has incorporated sustainability principles into a revised fleet policy, changed vehicle models and measures and manages the fleet sustainability programme overall to meet both business and sustainability objectives.

"Our sustainability action plan included right-sizing the fleet and redefining the optimal vehicle for business requirements," says Gayle Pratt, director of Global Fleet, Ecolab. "We revised our fleet policies to acquire more fuel-efficient vehicles, focusing on EPA-certified SmartWay vehicles. We moved from large to intermediate to small vehicles; and from eight- to six- to four-cylinder engines whenever possible."

In addition, fleet drivers participate in surveys, eco-driver awareness and safety training, and provide continuous feedback via a fleet web portal. The fleet also implemented forecasting tools to determine how to optimise fleet operations to achieve both business goals and the company's overall sustainability goals.

From 2006 to 2011, Ecolab's U.S. fleet achieved:

A 22% reduction in GHG emissions, normalized to sales

An 18% improvement in average miles per gallon (MPG) per vehicle

A 12% absolute reduction in GHG emissions

An 8% reduction in fuel consumed (1.4 million gallons) while the number of vehicles grew 1% and total miles driven increased nearly 9%.

Gayle Pratt received the award this week, on behalf of Ecolab's fleet, during NAFA's 2012 Institute and Expo being held in St. Louis, Missouri.

www.ecolab.com

www.nafa.org

 

3rd May 2012




© The Cleanzine 2019.
Subscribe | Unsubscribe | Cookies | Sitemap