Your industry news - first Number 1 for Recruitment
We strongly recommend viewing Cleanzine full size in your web browser. Click our masthead above to visit our website version.
Survey examines use of mobile devices in the cleaning industry
A survey conducted for Tornado Industries has asked cleaning industry workers such as distributors, building service contractors and in-house cleaning workers, about their use of mobile devices, such as smartphones and 'tablet' computers.
The results reveal that 71% of respondents use a smartphone and about 67% use a flat screen tablet computer.
"Those numbers did not surprise us," says Jolynn Kennedy, marketing director for Tornado. "We wanted to learn more, like how they use these devices and why."
What the survey found is that the respondents use their mobile devices mainly for the following reasons:
- Read articles from a variety of sources (33%)
- Check e-mail (29%)
- Keep in touch with current news (24%)
- The rest said they watch videos, play games, or 'other' on their mobile devices.
"As to 'other', some respondents say they use their devices as a [bar code] scanner," adds Jolynn.
The survey also asked if an app from a jansan manufacturer could prove helpful... more than half (57%) responded "yes" and most of the rest, about 40%, said they were simply "not sure".
When questioned as to what type of functionality they would like to see on a jansan manufacturer's app, the respondents answered:
- Access to operating manuals and technical bulletins (28%)
- Find pricing information (22%)
- Product catalogues, brochures, case studies, etc. (17%)
- Ability to e-mail product information (17%)
- Online ordering capability (11%)
- Information about product inventory levels (5%).
"Finally, we simply asked if using a mobile device is improving their productivity," says Jolynn. "About 29% responded "somewhat", half answered "yes" and that it was "considerable" and the rest indicated that mobile devices had significantly improved their productivity."
20th September 2012