Your industry news - first Number 1 for Recruitment
We strongly recommend viewing Cleanzine full size in your web browser. Click our masthead above to visit our website version.
How to tell if a hotel is going green
Believe it or not, Summer will soon be here and many people are starting to plan their holidays now. One thing that more and more people look for when they travel is to stay in a hotel that is taking step to be greener. But how can you tell? After all, according to one travel expert, on one of his travels he found the only thing green about the ‘green’ hotel he had selected was that "they gave to a local Green charity.”
Jennifer Meek, the Director of Marketing for Enviro-Solutions, a leading manufacturer of green cleaning chemicals, says just by asking a few questions or doing a little probing, customers can find out if a hotel is truly green or just doing a little ‘greenwashing.’
According to Jennifer, among the questions to ask or items to look for are the following:
· Is the hotel a member of the Green Hotel Association? These members put a much higher emphasis on being environmentally preferable.
· Does the hotel keep recycling bins in rooms and public areas?
· Is a non-smoking hotel?
· Are linens fragrance-free? (scent-free detergents help prevent allergic reactions)
· Have low-energy light bulbs replaced conventional bulbs?
· Are green cleaning chemicals being used? "Transferring to certified Green cleaning chemicals is one of the principal and easiest steps hotels can take to become more environmentally friendly," she says.
· Does the hotel use alternative, renewable energy sources?
· Is food served by the hotel grown organically and harvested locally?
· Are steps in place to reduce water consumption?
"One of the surest ways to determine if a hotel is green is to ask if it has been LEED-certified," she adds. "Then you know they have met very stringent standards that essentially certify they are truly green."
An ISO-9001 certified company, Enviro-Solutions was established in 1994 with very focused goals: To develop and market a superior line of environmentally preferable cleaning products and solutions. Using advanced technology, the company manufactures products that offer proven safety, health, and environment benefits without sacrificing product performance and are competitively in price.
4th April 2013